Michigan Women Veterans Empowerment is a 501c3 tax deductible faith based non-profit organization that is hosting the first Women Veteran Empowerment Conference in Michigan on Saturday November 19, 2016 8:00 - 4:00 pm at the International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit 111 E Kirby St. Detroit, MI.
Greetings! You are formally invited to attend the 1st 2016 Michigan Women Veterans Empowerment Conference on Saturday November 19, 2016 from 8 to 4 pm at the International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit 111 E. Kirby St Detroit MI 48202
This first 2016 Michigan Women Veterans Empowerment Conference is focused on empowering, honoring and recognizing women veterans in the State of Michigan. Our conference theme: The Voices of Women Veterans: Prisms, Pathways, Platforms and Potential.
Prisms: Who we are - the different aspects and facets of who really women veteran are. Pathways: How do we GPS to a better quality of life through empowerment, education, support and resources. Platforms: Opportunities available entrepreneurship, gainful employment and more. Potential: Leveraging our military experience, skills and education in order to be effective leaders.
The Honorable Judge Shannon A. Holmes of the Wayne County 36th District Court is our keynote woman veteran speaker along with Honorable Judge Denise Langford-Morris Oakland County Circuit Court, whom will be our mistress of ceremonies. See agenda below for details on the panel speakers that are women veteran’s leaders, organizations, community leaders and business professionals that represent and service the women veteran population and their family members.
**********************************2016 MIWVEC Saturday November 19th AGENDA************************
8:00 – 9:15 – Registration, light breakfast/coffee and networking, vendors
9:15 – 9:30 – Transition to start of Conference
9:30 - 9:50 - * Opening Prayer - (Retired Pastor/Veteran) Bro Sahara Russell
* Posting of Colors - Michigan Veterans Foundation
* Pledge Allegiance to the Flag
* Patriotic Song by Anointed Psalmist Cynthia Best
Welcome & Acknowledgements by Sgt. Stephanie J. Shannon
* Mistress of Ceremonies - Panel Moderator
Honorable Judge Denise Langford -Morris Oakland County Circuit Court
9:50 – 10:20 - Speaker – Honorable Judge Shannon A. Holmes – 36th District Court -
Women veteran - former JAG officer.
10:20 – 10:40 – Networking- Vendors - (Transition to 1st panel)
10:40 – 11:40 – 1st Panel Discussion – Women Veterans- Michigan women veterans that are active and visible in the community and advocate for women vets and hold a leadership position 1. Michigan Women’s Commission and Clare County Veteran Services Director - Renee Haley 2. U of M - Military Support Programs and Networks (MSPAN)Buddy to Buddy Volunteer Outreach Coordinator - Valeria Shipp 3. Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency - Community Analyst - Emilly Rissman 4. State Chaplain of the Department of Michigan Veterans of Foreign Wars and serves on their Legislative Committee - Chaplain Jennifer L. Smith 5. Wolverine Chapter 67, Women’s Army Corps Veterans Association President - Evelyn Kennedy 6. VCAT Region 10 - Co -Director/Vice President of Tri-County Collaborative Veterans Services Committee- Monica Munir ) 7. DAV Dept Director/Adjutant for State of Michigan - Brandi Hijak 8. Michigan Veterans Affair Agency -Region 6 Coordinator - Kate Logan 9. Detroit Dynasty, Omicron Chapter
Kappa Epsilon Psi, Military Sorority Incorporated- President- Coy Landrum
11:40 – 11:55 – (Transition to 2nd panel Break - BEVERAGE BREAK – NETWORK)
12:00 – 12:30 – 2nd Panel Discussion –Politicians Panel
Senator Vincent Gregory and State Representative District 2 Alberta Tinsley-Talabi
12:30 – 1:30 – LUNCH /NETWORKING/VENDOR TABLES-ENTERTAINMENT- MC- DeWaun E. Robinson of Artistic Visions 1. Liturgical Worship Dancers - New Hope Missionary Baptist Church- 2.Christian Rapper – Fresh Flo 3. West Michigan Jewels of Africa – Dance and Drum Troop 4. Chosen by Destiny (Mime Team) - Berea Family Tabernacle 5. DA General of Poetry - Spoken Word- Robert E. Lee
1:30 – 1:45 – (TRANSTION TO 3rd panel for the conference.)
1:45 – 2:45 - 3rd Panel Discussion- Veteran Service Organizations
1. United Way AmeriCorps– Veterans Resource Navigator program- Erin Mc Loughlin (woman vet) 2. Department of Michigan Veterans of Foreign Wars- Assistant Director- Martha Washington (women vet) 3. DAV State Commander - Jo Linda Cutler (woman vet) 4. American Legion 328 - Commander - Michigan Veterans Foundation – Executive Director - Tyrone Chatman (veteran) 5. Wayne County Veteran Services- Executive Director - John Gardner (veteran) 6. Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency – Director of Targeted Outreach and Performance - Rob Price (veteran) 7. VA - Ann Arbor Health System – Trauma Therapist & MST Coordinator - Edward Thomas (veteran) 8. State of Michigan - Veteran Employment Services Regional Manager– Dr. Rebecca Flemming (woman vet)
2:45 – 3:00 – Transition to 4th panel - BEVERAGE BREAK- NETWORK
3:00 – 3:45 - 4th Panel Discussion – Community Veteran Service Organizations
1. Murphy's Educational Center - Founder/CEO - Dr. Opal Murphy-Hicks 2. MIWVE – Director of Lansing Chapter Adam Obanjoko (veteran) 3. Primerica Financial Services – Louanne Allison 4. PTAC Region 6 - Flint and Chamber of Commerce – Regional Director - Stacey Betts 5. Veteran Games- Executive Director -Lynette Arlene 6. Global Information Technology - Manager of Career Services - Jason Chapman (veteran) 7. Grief & Loss, Recovery and After Care Ministry - Director- Evg. Charlene Ellison – 8. Hope 360- (Suicide prevention) Founder/CEO Stephanie Grimes 9. Infinite Well Beings –Licensed Integrative Nurse - Denise Ervin, RN 10. Mel Patton (veteran) Center for Neurological Studies
3:45 - 4:00 – Closing Remarks – Sgt. Stephanie Shannon – Retire colors
We will be live streaming via the internet off our website www.empowermiwomenvets.com so that the women veteran’s voices will be heard world-wide. National and location TV, radio and social media will cover and promote the conference. The first volume of the “Our Voices United" woman veteran anthology book stories has been collected and will be published and released at the conference. The world wants to hear from women veterans and this conference and book will provide a platform for women veteran voices to be heard world-wide. The women veteran stories and poems submission deadline is ongoing project, we will continue to accept literacy work from women veterans which will be complied in the next volumes of "Our Voices United" from now on.
Registration for the conference is FREE, women veteran’s participants will get priority seating then the general public will follow. Continental Breakfast and a hearty lunch provided.
All the vendors that have been selected are listed below:
2016 MIWVEC VENDORS
John D. Dingell Veterans Affairs Medical Center VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System
Congresswoman Brenda Lawrence Office Staff– On-site veteran support services
Genesee County PTAC - Government Procurement Technical Assistance Center -
Flint and Chamber of Commerce
Michigan Veteran Affairs Agency
VA- Regional Office - Detroit
U of M - Military Support Programs and Networks (MSPAN) -
Buddy to Buddy Veteran Program
United Way - AmeriCorps - Veteran Resource Navigators
Primerica Financial Services
Global Information Technology
West Michigan Jewels of Africa
Xstreme Travel - World Oasis and Candlelight Travel
No Veteran Left Behind
Jackets for Jobs INC.
Our hopes is that you will join the movement to empower women veterans.
At MIWVE, we will not quietly standby we will act, advocate, we will teach,
lead and impact the lives of others. What empowers you? Let's pass it on!
Join the movement!!!
For more information please visit our website:
Thank you and God bless
Sgt. Stephanie J. Shannon
Founder/CEO Michigan Women Veterans Empowerment